In the U.S., drug addiction among women continues to rise every year. Despite the growing awareness of addiction, many women still do not get the help they need and continue to suffer alone. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports a 31% increase in overdose deaths from 2019 to 2020.1 If that number sounds high, it’s because it is. Luckily, there are women’s substance abuse treatment programs designed to combat this growing problem. Hammocks on the Edisto is just such a program.
Hammocks on the Edisto is a women’s-only heroin addiction treatment center near Charleston. We offer inpatient treatment for heroin addiction and other forms of addiction, as well as for co-occurring mental health issues such as depression and anxiety. Our luxurious facility specializes in women’s care and offers comfortable private rooms for your recovery. If you or someone close to you would benefit from a heroin rehab near Charleston, call 833.793.0191 today to learn more about our women’s addiction treatment program.
Does Drug Addiction Affect Women Differently Than Men?
Drug addiction has a unique effect on women due to their biology and gender. Research shows that drug addiction affects women’s hormones and menstrual cycles and can adversely affect pregnant or breastfeeding women.2 Women also face different struggles over culturally defined gender roles. In many instances, these issues lead to growing mental health illnesses and addiction.
Women will also abuse drugs differently from men. For instance, in many cases, women take smaller amounts of the substances in question but form an addiction over less time. Other ways drug addiction can affect women include:
- Women’s sex hormones can make them more sensitive to drugs
- Their cravings can be stronger, and they can be more susceptible to relapse
- Addiction has a different effect on women’s brain chemistry that can make them more likely to become addicted
- Women who are addicted can demonstrate an increased risk of heart disease and cardiovascular issues
- Women are more likely to have panic attacks, anxiety, depression, and other mental health concerns that often accompany and perpetuate addiction
Women are more likely to use heroin as a means of self-medicating instead of seeking qualified help from a heroin rehab center. At Hammocks on the Edisto, we offer rehab for heroin addiction to women who are ready to make a positive change in their lives.
What to Expect When You Enroll in a Heroin Rehab Center for Women
Treating heroin addiction and other mental health issues is a complicated process because no two patients are alike. When you first arrive at a heroin addiction treatment center, you will receive a medical and psychological evaluation to determine the level of care necessary for your unique symptoms. Our expert team will create a treatment plan that best serves you and your addiction recovery based on the severity of your addiction and any underlying mental health concerns. There are different levels of care available, including inpatient and outpatient treatment plans.
An effective heroin addiction treatment plan will consist of a combination of evidence-based and holistic therapies. Among the evidence-based therapeutic approaches we utilize are:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive processing therapy for trauma (CPT)
- Individual and group therapy
- Family counseling
A holistic approach to treating your heroin addiction is an important aspect of recovery as well. At Hammocks on the Edisto, we offer a broad range of these types of approaches, including but not limited to:
- Individual wellness coaching, which includes practices like therapeutic yoga, pilates, functional strength training, mindful organic movement, mindful walking practices, Thai yoga therapy techniques
- Group wellness coaching, which includes practices like functional movement practices, breathwork and meditation practices, wellness workshops, yoga theory, Buddhist-inspired recovery, Chinese medicine-based seasonal practices, mindful eating meditation
- Art therapy
- Creative writing
- Pet companionship
- Community activities
Choose Hammocks on the Edisto for Heroin Rehab near Charleston
At Hammocks on the Edisto, we offer heroin rehab in South Carolina to women in Charleston and the surrounding areas. Our certified therapists and RNs can help with all types of addiction, including:
- Heroin addiction
- Cocaine addiction
- Benzo addiction
- Alcohol addiction
- Prescription drug addiction
If you or a loved one is struggling with heroin addiction, call 833.793.0191 today to speak with our support staff to see if our heroin rehab near Charleston is the right fit for your addiction recovery.