EMDR therapy is a form of evidence-based therapy that has been growing in popularity in recent years. It is often used to treat a variety of mental health conditions, including addiction and PTSD.
EMDR therapy is unique because it involves the use of bilateral stimulation or alternating sensory input on either side of the body. This helps to activate different parts of the brain and can help to reduce symptoms related to trauma or addiction. EMDR therapy for women at Hammocks on the Edisto can be a valuable part of a comprehensive treatment program.
What Is EMDR?
Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) is a type of therapy that involves stimulating different parts of the brain with bilateral stimulation. This is done by alternating input on either side of the body, such as eye movements, hand taps, or auditory tones. Instead of having the client talk about their trauma, EMDR allows them to process it in a different way.
For those who have experienced trauma, EMDR can help to reduce the symptoms that are associated with it. This includes things like flashbacks, nightmares, anxiety, and depression. EMDR can also be used to treat other mental health conditions, such as addiction.
At Hammocks on the Edisto, clients whose past trauma has contributed to their substance use disorder can participate in EMDR therapy as part of a comprehensive treatment program.
Our EMDR Therapy Program near Charleston, SC
Here’s how it works:
- First, your therapist will help you identify a negative memory or belief that is causing distress.
- Next, your therapist will ask you to hold this memory in your mind while focusing on a bilateral stimulation, such as making eye movements from side to side. Typically, a light is used for this. You’ll follow the light with your eyes while the therapist moves it back and forth.
- As you focus on the bilateral stimulation, you may notice that your thoughts and feelings about the memory start to change.
- After the session, your therapist will debrief with you to see how you’re feeling.
Typically, EMDR therapy is done in a series of sessions. The number of sessions will depend on the severity of your symptoms and your goals for therapy.
Benefits of EMDR Therapy
EMDR therapy can offer a number of benefits for those struggling with mental health conditions, including:
- Reduced symptoms of PTSD
- Fewer flashbacks and nightmares
- Reduced symptoms of anxiety and depression
- Improved self-esteem
- Greater insight into your thoughts and feelings
- Increased ability to cope with stress
All of these benefits are helpful for those in recovery. Addiction treatment is not just about abstaining from substances. It’s also about learning how to cope with difficult emotions and stress in a healthy way. This trauma-informed approach to care can help you to build a foundation for long-term recovery.
At Hammocks on the Edisto, EMDR therapy for women is worked into a comprehensive treatment program. This means that you’ll also participate in other evidence-based therapies, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and group therapy. Residents also engage in wellness coaching and activities like yoga and art therapy to support their recovery.
Find Help for Addiction at Hammocks on the Edisto
Substance use disorder doesn’t have to define your future. With the help of a treatment program that incorporates both evidence-based and holistic therapies, it’s possible to build healthy coping skills and reach a place of sustainable recovery.
Hammocks on the Edisto offers a tranquil setting for women to heal from addiction and trauma. Our program is designed to help you understand the root causes of your substance use so that you can move forward in recovery.